Skip To Main Content

Together we can build a future that benefits all of St. James by:

Enhancing our buildings and grounds to support the growing needs of our church and school;

Equipping our facilities with multi-use spaces that accommodate diverse needs;

Reinvigorating our ministry to children, youth and families;

Allowing for continued growth of St. James School through 6th grade.

This campaign is a natural and timely extension of who we were upon our consecration almost 100 years ago. St. James has always been a prominent and important presence on the Eastern Shore. Now is our opportunity to use our entire campus while ensuring our spaces and configuration meet our church’s needs. The proposed changes do not alter who we are at St. James. They enable us to do more of what God has called us to do in this time and place.

This growing body of believers moved into its first church building in January 1921, and as Rev. James Plummer would say about those early years, “The mission sprang immediately into active life.” Within a few years, St. James added property and a parish hall, and by 1957 the once-little church needed a bigger home to accommodate the ever-growing congregation and its ministries. So our church forbearers built for a hopeful future – a new church, parish hall, classrooms and outdoor areas for gathering – and that brick campus off Church Street served us well for almost 40 years.

We held our first church service at our current home on Easter Sunday 1994, and though the faces have changed through the years, we remain a vibrant, active community, anchored in Christ, seeking God, sharing his love and serving others. Our church is a beacon on this hilltop. It is a light and an invitation to all, whether they come here for worship, music, Christian formation, outreach, or education. We are a beacon. Our church family has reflected God’s love into the community and shown people Christ-centered hospitality on these grounds. With God’s blessing, we have continued to attract new members and add new ministries.

We are an active parish, and after years of finding new and sometimes creative ways to maximize use of our facilities, we again need more space to accommodate the Parish and School. We are blessed! Our history has taught us that growth is an opportunity to put our faith in God. Our predecessors understood that growth is both a blessing and a responsibility. We must continue to grow and carry out the good work we have been called to do. 
 We believe that together we can build a future that strengthens our relationship with God, each other, and our community. Over the past few years, the vestry has met with ministry leaders and created focus groups within the Parish to assess our current and future needs. We greatly appreciate everyone’s input, and after much prayer and consideration, we believe the following plan is our best path forward.

Renovations & Enhancements